STANCE Working Paper Series
1. Lindvall, Johannes - Teorell, Jan. "State Capacity as Power: A Conceptual Framework"
2. Brambor, Thomas - Goenaga, Agustín - Lindvall, Johannes - Teorell, Jan. "The Lay of the Land: Information Capacity and the Modern State"
3. Hall, Martin. "Steppe State Making"
4. Bäck, Hanna - Teorell, Jan - von Hagen-Jamar, Alexander. "War, Performance and the Survival of Foreign Ministers"
5. Ringmar, Erik. "The Nation-State as Failure: Nationalism and Mobility, in India and Elsewhere"
6. Bäck, Hanna - Teorell, Jan - Lindberg, Staffan. "Cabinets, Prime Ministers and Corruption. A Comparative Analysis of Parliamentary Governments in Post-War Europe"
7. Kalm, Sara - Lindvall, Johannes. "Social Policy and Migration Policy in the Long Nineteenth Century"*
8. Ravndal, Ellen. "From an Inclusive to an Exclusive International Order: Membership of International Organisations From the 19th to the 20th Century"
9. Svensson, Ted. "A Federation of Equals? Bringing the Princely States into Unified India"
10. Björkdahl, Annika. "Republika Srpska – The Becoming of a State"*
11. Goenaga, Agustìn - von Hagen-Jamar, Alexander "Military Rivalries, Alliances and Taxation: The International Origins of Modern Fiscal Contracts"
1. Goenaga, Agustìn "The Social Origins of State Capacity: Organizations, Institutions and Late Development"
2. Lindvall, Johannes "Technology and Politics: A Research Agenda"
3. Teorell, Jan "Rules of Recognition: Explaining Diplomatic Representation in the Long Nineteenth Century"*
4. Svensson, Ted "Mimesis and Assemblage: The Imperial Durbars at Delhi"*
5. Ravndal, Ellen "International Organisations, Authority, and the First Permanent Secretariats in the 19th Century"
6. Sabaté, Oriol - Espuelas, Sergio - Herranz-Loncán, Alfonso "Military spending as coup-proofing strategy: opening the 'black box' for Spain (1850-1915)"
7. Hall, Martin "State making and Swedish politics in the north"
9. von Hagen-Jamar, Alexander "Preparing for War: Democratic Threat Responsiveness and Military Spending in the Long 19th Century"
10. Bäck, Hanna - Björkdahl, Annika "Does Female Leadership Matter? An Analysis of Swedish Foreign Ministers and their Parliamentary Speeches, 1955–2016"
11. Alejandro Quiroz Flores - Hanna Bäck - Alexander von Hagen-Jamar - Jan Teorell - "Solving the Decider’s Dilemma: Scapegoats, Foreign Affairs, and the Duration of Interstate War"
1. Cheney, Amanda - "International Order, Language Games and the Emergence of Chinese “Sovereignty” Claims in the South China Sea, 1909-1947"*
2. Bartelson, Jens - "Empire and State in Early Modern Political Thought"
3. Andersen, David - Agnes Cornell - "The Ambiguous Effects of Democracy on Bureaucratic Quality"
4. Hall, Martin - "Not becoming a state: the Icelandic Commonwealth from colonization to Norwegian suzerainty"
5. Kalm, Sara - Johannes Lindvall - "Poor Relief and Internal Migration: Lessons from the Nineteenth Century"
6. Goenaga, Agustín - Oriol Sabaté - Jan Teorell - "War and state capacity in the long nineteenth century"
7. Alexandra L. Cermeño - Kerstin Enflo - Johannes Lindvall - "Railways and Reform: How Trains Strengthened the Nation State"
1. Sara Torregrosa-Hetland - Oriol Sabaté - "Income tax progressivity and war inflation during the two World Wars"
2. Amanda Cheney - "Why is Tibet Part of China? Language-Games, Translation and International Order Transformation in the Long Nineteenth Century"*
3. Martin Hall - Torbjørn Knutsen - "Rome: Republic to Empire"
4. Amanda Cheney - "Tibet’s Incorporation into China: Contrasting Historical Narratives and the PRC’s Ontological Security"*
6. Klas Nilsson - "Royal Import"
7. Jens Bartelson - "Cosmos and Conquest: Precursors of Iberian Overseas Expansion, c. 1500-1600"
8. Per Andersson - "Fiscal Capacity in Non-Democratic States"
9 Agustín Goenaga - "State Capacity beyond Executive Power: Towards an Institutionalist View"
10. Simon Davidsson - "The Belgian Parliamentary Regime 1830-2014"
11. Klas Nilsson - "Non-Taxation and Non- Representation in Historical Europe: Insights from Early-Modern Sweden"
2020 - 2021
1. Oriol Sabaté - José Peres-Cajías - "Linking war, natural resources and public revenues: the case of the War of the Pacific (1879-1883)"
2. Jens Bartelson - "War and the Turn to History"
3. Petrus Olander - "Legislators and building of state capacity - Evidence from the American states"
4. Hanna Bäck - Johannes Lindvall - "ECONOMIC DOWNTURNS AND MINISTERS OF FINANCE IN SWEDEN, THE UNITED KINGDOM, AND THE UNITED STATES SINCE THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY"
5. Agustín Goenaga - Oriol Sabaté - "Investing in Fiscal Capacity: Legislative Debates, Military Pressures and Taxation in the United Kingdom (1817-1939)"
6. Agnes Cornell - Ted Svensson - "Imperial Diffusion of Bureaucratic Practices? Entrance Examinations to the Indian Civil Service and the British Civil Service"
7. Johannes Lindvall - "Political Science as Architecture"
9. Johannes Lindvall - Jan Teorell- "Projecting Power at Home and Abroad: Domestic State Capacity and Military Capability"
* This working paper is currently not available for download due to an ongoing peer review process. Please contact the author.